Wednesday, August 21, 2013

#WWW : Rachel Brimble on Writer's Block #WritersLife



Writers Block – it arrived and bit me in the butt!!

For the first time since I started writing for publication back in 2005, I am in the middle of my first ever writing slump and need to vent some frustration!

I can’t help feeling my inability to move on with my current work in progress has been brought on by karma. I have always said that ‘writer’s block’ doesn’t exist. Just write! Anything…everything…it can always be edited, changed or cut, just write. Well, I’ve tried and tried and still I keep looking at what I’ve written and say to myself, “What in the world is that supposed to mean? Do? Say? It’s complete rubbish.”

The answer, of course, is that something is wrong with the book itself, whether that be the plot or characters…but lord knows what! Thankfully, I have an amazing editor and an amazing trio of critique partners who are stalwartly trying to pull me through this mire that is my next contracted book with Harlequin Superromance. Thanks to their feedback, I think the problem lies with my heroine and her motivation. It’s flimsier than a pair of seven denier pantyhose! No doubt, the mist will clear eventually… L

So what happens next? Back to the drawing board, I think. My editor has a lot more belief in me than I do right now but that’s what writing is, it’s a hard, dirty job that a huge amount of aspiring writers give up on. Teem the hard work, with the lack of ideas, with the time constraints, with the rejection and you’ve got to ask yourself, “WHY am I doing this?”

The answer is clear to anyone who feels, like me, they’ve found their calling…we HAVE to do this or be less than half the person we were meant to be. So onwards and upwards…watch this space for the result, which should be published in Christmas 2014 J

As for other writers out there? I sincerely hope I’ve inspired, rather than depressed you, lol! You can do this and twelve books later, I wanted to share that it isn’t just you who suffers these days/weeks or months of inactivity, it happens to us all. Keep on writing!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click on image to add on Goodreads
16 Marsden Place
Romantic Comedy

There isn't a situation that can't be fixed by a coat of chocolate body paint or a liberal smear of Champagne Lick, right? Wrong!

Ever since her father was murdered by a gang of youths, Sienna Lloyd has named herself Potterford's protector--her sexy lingerie shop is a place where the town's women can visit and feel safe. But when that shop is in danger of closing, Sienna needs a solution that will keep her in Potterford, where she can always look out for her mother, friends, and clients.

The answer? Move the shop to her home at 16 Marsden Place. The problem? Her new neighbor, the delicious but seriously uptight Jack Beaton. Oh, and his four-year-old twin girls.

Jack has just moved to the tiny town of Potterford in a bid to start over. To build a new life that keeps his children safe from his alcoholic ex-wife. So when he discovers his neighbor intends to open a sex shop right next door, Jack will do anything to ensure it doesn't happen... including fighting every ounce of his attraction to the shop's owner and his innate need to trust again.

Purchase Links: 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About Rachel Brimble

Rachel lives with her husband and two young daughters in a small town near Bath in the UK.  After having several novels published by small US presses, she secured agent representation in 2011. In 2012, she sold two books to Harlequin Superromance. She also writes Victorian romance for Kensington--her debut was released in April 2013.

She has just recently signed a further three-book contract with Harlequin Superromance, continuing her ongoing series set in the fictional UK seaside town of Templeton Cove.

Rachel is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association and Romance Writers of America. When she isn’t writing, you’ll find Rachel with her head in a book or walking the beautiful English countryside with her family and beloved black Lab, Max. Her dream place to live is Bourton-on-the-Water in South West England…although she hopes a dream visit to Canada might just change her mind!

She likes nothing more than connecting and chatting with her readers and fellow romance writers. Rachel would love to hear from you!


Links:

Website  /  Blog  /  Twitter  /  Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't call it writer's block, but my brain tends to empty of ideas in between manuscripts. That's never good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,

    Yep, that happens too! I'm getting better in that I force my brain into 'writer mode' 24/7 so whenever I visit a place, I'm thinking of a story I could set there. Setting kick-start my story ideas more than plots or characters which is unusual...or so i'm told!

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete