Wednesday, May 15, 2013

#WeeklyWriterlyWisdom : Krista Ames on Writer's Block #WriteTip



Welcome to WWW where every week a guest will offer some insight into the world of writing and publishing. 

Today I'm thrilled to have my Weekend Writers Sister, Krista Ames, published author, share about the issue of writer's block.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Do you ever get writer's block and if so, how do you cure it?

Do I get writer's block? Oh yes, it has definitely been a struggle for me sometimes and it is more than frustrating!!
I would love to be one of those writers that say, “hey no way, I never get blocked. My words flow smoothly all the time”. Well sorry, that just isn't the case. I already have plenty of distractions in my house so when I actually get stumped on my story it makes me mad.
This condition isn't really one you can see a doctor for and get a prescription....or is it?   
When I was thinking on this topic I did what most do when it's time to write an informational paper...I googled it. What I found actually surprised me because I was truly unaware. I found a great site where a post had been done, Writing-World.com. There is an article at that link called ‘Writer's Block: Is it all in your head?’.
I read through this article and was very interested to find that it actually can be a medical condition however I'm not to the point where I believe that is the extent of my own writer's block. One of the points made in this article said, “Sometimes writer's block is simply not knowing where to go next”. I truly think that's where I am sometimes and when it happens, I just need to take a break...step away and do something else entirely. Sometimes it helps to find one of my favorite books and just sit and read or even occasionally I will open another one of my WIP and get my head into a different story for a while. I also know that some people will listen to music to get them in and keep them in their writing groove. I do that myself occasionally, but I also put on one of my favorite mushy movies to play in the background to try to keep me focused.
I did smile when I read the part of the above mentioned article where it talked about some possible cures and suggestions. One of the points said join a writer's group and give yourself a deadline. Funny but since doing that very thing, it has really helped me to stay on track and write. To be accountable to someone other than myself is apparently a big deal. Of course I will still have the everyday household stress and my family pulling me in other directions but in the last couple weeks, I've felt like things have turned around a little for me as far as my writing.
How do you deal with writer's block?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Krista Ames' Latest Release


Take Me Home, Cowboy

Ally Kincaid returns to Freewill, Wyoming, to see her father after a two year absence. Anticipating a quiet family reunion, she finds herself butting heads with her father’s foreman instead. The man’s arrogance and sexy drawl push all her buttons, making her wonder what he’s hiding beneath his cowboy swagger.

Matt Gentry walked away from the past and shies from the future. No ties means no one gets hurt…until the boss’s daughter, a hot, green-eyed blonde, tempts him to break his own rules.
When tragedy strikes, will building tension and pride destroy their growing attraction or show them the way home?



Purchase Links:

Decadent  /  Amazon /  B&N  /  ARe  /  Smashwords  /   Manic 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


About Krist Ames

Krista Ames was born and raised in Indiana. She now resides in Northern Michigan with the love of her life and their 4 children.
She is a full time stay-at-home mom and pursues her writing career when she's not chasing kids, cooking or doing laundry.





Contact links:






2 comments:

  1. Once I begin writing, I never experience writer's block. I think that's because I spend months on the outline.
    Nice to meet you, Krista!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total planner too, Alex. I outline out the wazoo. ;) Definitely the best way as far as I'm concerned!

      Delete