Monday, September 3, 2012

#BookReview : Divergent (Divergent Trilogy #1)


YA Dystopian


From Goodreads:

In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.




My Review:



I honestly don't know where to start with this one. I'm definitely a fan. Big time. I saw so much hype about this book that I had to buy it. I dove in blindly, not having even read the blurb.

I couldn't help but compare it to the Hunger Games - dystopian, teenage female MC - but once I got further in, all comparison ended for me. Katniss & Tris are nothing alike. Their worlds are nothing alike. The romance involved is nothing alike.

Anyhoo ... onto the goodies.

Yummies:  Characters. I could go on & on, so I'll try to keep this short. They are without a doubt 100% fleshed out - believable & likeable. Heck, the 'bad' characters were so imaginable that I even enjoyed them & their involvement in the story. And how Ms. Roth made said bad ones force the others to grow ... well done!

The MC, Tris, is full of self doubt, yet she's persistent and stubborn as can be. For a 16-yr-old this is hugely mature IMO. Almost a 'yuckies', but having read her background and knowing the world she lives in, it too is surprisingly believable.

Pacing is perfect. Tension is palatable. Nothing felt forced. I could totally see this happening in our future.

Best of all? NO LOVE TRIANGLE. Can I get a 'hallelujah'???  *loud clapping in Ms. Roth's general direction*

Yuckies: Hrrrmmmmmm. So excited about this book that I can't think of any right now. Perhaps I'm simply blinded by the story itself. By the awesome characters. By Tris's determination and watching her change.

Recommend: What do you think??? A big old fat 'YES'. Couldn't put it down. You won't want to either.


Gunna go nab this one? I've heard the 2nd isn't as good, but I'm off to find out. I'll let you know my thoughts later (hopefully) this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment